As pet owners, we’re always looking for new ways to keep our furry friends happy and healthy.
Given the rise in popularity of medicinal cannabis, more and more pet owners are looking to CBD as both a supplement and medicine.
But, with so many CBD products available, how can you know which one to choose?
We’ve tried a few brands on our dogs, and today I want to share my experience with King Kanine.
I’ll go over everything this brand has to offer, and also highlight some other great CBD alternatives.
Should I Give My Pet CBD?
This is a question many pet owners struggle with.
To help you answer it, here are some basics about CBD and its potential health benefits.
CBD is a powerful molecule. It’s a natural remedy that comes from cannabis and hemp plants.
But let’s get this one point out of the way now:
This isn’t “pot for pets” and it’s definitely not going to make your little friend “high.”
Instead, it offers a great, natural alternative to regular medicines or supplements.
I used CBD myself on Rosie, my gorgeous Golden Retriever. She had cancer and joint pain.
CBD helped control Rosie’s constant pain and also helped her deal with side effects from some of the treatment/medication she received (such as nausea and a loss of appetite).
Plus, it also helped her become more active and enjoy a higher quality of life in her remaining years with us.
But remember, CBD isn’t just for sick pets:
Many pet owners also give their pets CBD as a regular health supplement.
Because CBD interacts with the body in a wide variety of ways (which I’ll cover in other articles), it can help promote an overall balance that helps your dog stay healthy.
For now, you should consider using CBD if:
- Your pet struggles with chronic conditions like pain, inflammation, anxiety, or stress
- Your pet has a behavioural disorder
- Your pet struggles with nausea, vomiting, or a loss of appetite due to surgery, treatment, or using medication
- You want to promote your pet’s overall health and wellbeing
King Kanine: Quality CBD Products For Pets
King Kanine produces a wide variety of health and well-being products for all kinds of pets.
One of their latest ventures is a new line of CBD products known as King Kalm.
It consists of a variety of CBD-rich products, including oils, treats, and topicals like sprays and balms.
The entire line of King Kalm products is made using a top-shelf extract from hemp plants.
The current line of King Kalm products includes:
- King Kalm CBD, a rich CBD oil available in 3 strengths (75mg, 150mg and 300mg) in 30ml bottles
- King Kalm Crunch, a delicious treat made with the same high-quality hemp extract used in the King Kalm CBD oils and other natural and organic ingredients
- King Kalm Soothe, a topical spray containing CBD, aloe vera, and tea tree extracts that’s great for treating skin irritations, inflammation, and chronic hot spots
- King Kalm Balm, a topical balm for noses, paws, and elbows designed to hydrate, moisturize, and nourish your furry friend’s skin
Most importantly, King Kalm products only contain top-shelf hemp extract that produce no psychoactive ingredients whatsoever.
Benefits of Using King Kanine CBD
Along with some other CBD products, I used a variety of King Kalm products on Rosie following her diagnosis.
As you can imagine, I was hesitant at first (as I would be with any new treatment).
Nonetheless, the fact that these products were completely natural and non psychoactive helped reassure me.
Then, once I saw the effects CBD had on Rosie, I was convinced:
CBD not only helped manage Rosie’s symptoms, but it improved her overall quality of life.
Only a few days into her treatment with King Kalm products, Rosie was a noticeably different dog.
And this is NOT uncommon. Many pet owners report that within just a few days their dogs are feeling better because of CBD.
Given these results, it's no wonder I recommend CBD to any pet owner.
But I wasn’t always like this.
Like you, I was pretty skeptical about using CBD on my Rosie.
It wasn’t til I conducted plenty of research and hounded my vet on multiple occasions that I made the decision to give CBD a shot.
Here are some of the things that influenced my decision to try King Kalm products by King Kanine:
King Kalm is All-Natural
When deciding to give your dog a new medicine or supplement, it’s reassuring to know you’re giving them something nature intended.
Hence, I was really impressed that the entire line of King Kalm CBD products is made using natural ingredients.
All of the King Kalm products contain a natural hemp extract.
This is made using C02 extraction, a process which aims to preserve as many of the natural compounds found in hemp plants as possible.
Meanwhile, each individual King Kalm product also contains other natural ingredients designed to promote the health and wellbeing of your pet.
The King Kalm CBD oils, for example, contain a mix of pure hemp extract, natural high omega-3 krill oil, and a touch of natural lavender for extra calming effects.
The King Kalm Crunch treats, on the other hand, are available in 3 natural flavors:
- Apple and cinnamon
- Honey Oats
Each cookie is made with all-natural ingredients and contains a rich mix of macronutrients, vitamins, and omega-3 oils.
Both King Kalm Soothe and Balm also contain a variety of natural ingredients designed to help maximize their effects.
- Aloe vera
- Tea tree oil
- Coconut oil
- Manuka honey
King Kalm is More Than Just CBD
This is one of my favorite features of the King Kalm products.
Unlike some other CBD supplements, King Kalm contains whole-plant hemp extract.
Hemp and cannabis plants actually contain up to 400 different active ingredients.
Made using whole plants, the extract in King Kalm actually helps preserve as many of these compounds as possible.
This is actually really important. Here’s why:
In my research about CBD, I stumbled on something called “the entourage effect,” a theory first popularized by Dr Raphael Mechoulam, a leading cannabis researcher who first discovered CBD and cannabis receptors in the brain.
The entourage effect suggests that the health benefits of cannabis and hemp aren’t just due to individual compounds like CBD.
After all, research has shown that isolated cannabinoid medicine (like Marinol a pure THC medicine, for example) don’t interact with the body in the same way as whole plant medicines.
In his discussions on the entourage effect, Dr Mechoulam suggests that the many different active ingredients in cannabis work together to help promote health and well-being in the body.
I’ll likely discuss the entourage effect in more detail in future articles.
For now, I suggest reading this article in Scientific American for more info on this interesting theory.
You can also check out the King Kanine website for more details about how they aim to preserve the entourage effect in all their CBD products.
King Kanine Makes Dosing Simple
As with any medication or supplement, dosage is very important when it comes to CBD.
Luckily, all the King Kalm products are extremely simple to dose correctly.
The CBD oils, for example, come with a syringe for administering the oil directly under your pet’s tongue or into their food.
They also come with a chart that helps owners make informed decisions about the recommended doses for their pet.
The King Kalm Crunch products, on the other hand, do not need to be dosed so strictly, and can be given to your pet as a regular daily treat.
Similarly, both the King Kalm Soothe and Balm products don’t require strict dosage.
Instead, they come with instructions on how to apply the products correctly and ensure your pet gets the most out of them.
King Kanine is Super Versatile
Given the many health benefits of CBD and hemp extract, King Kanine products can be used for a wide variety of ailments/conditions.
For example, the CBD oils are great for treating symptoms like:
- Chronic pain
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Anxiety or fear (separation, thunderstorms, or car travelling)
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
Meanwhile, the topical solutions like Soothe and Balm are great for managing skin irritations or injuries to the paws or elbows.
Seeing as King Kanine offers a variety of CBD products (not just oils), they provide pet owners with plenty of options for treating their pet.
3rd Party Lab Results are Available
With the popularity of CBD on the rise, there are going to be some low quality products which hit the market.
What I like about King Kanine is that they have invested a lot in 3 party lab testing. You can view each product's Certificate of Analysis on their website.
These lab results, along with the hundreds of customer reviews, really make you feel comfortable using this brand on your dog.
What Reviews Does King Kanine Get?
As I mentioned earlier, I had great results using King Kanine with my dog Rosie.
But I’m not alone.
King Kanine has received positive results from all kinds of pet owners who use their products for a wide range of reasons.
Here are some reviews to give you an idea of what people think of King Kanine CBD products:
- Kim M: Kim uses King Kalm CBD 300mg to treat her dog’s anxiety, especially when out and about on walks. Since she began using the King Kalm CBD oil, Kim found her dog is much more relaxed and focused. You can read her full review here.
- Suhmer M: This customer uses CBD 150mg to treat her 13 year-old Shiba Inu who suffers from arthritis. Before the treatments, Suhmer’s dog was walking at a “sloth’s pace.” 3 weeks into her treatment, however, she is much more active and even runs around and plays with other dogs. Click here for the full review.
- Dixie P: Dixie P uses King Kalm CBD on her dog Jolene. After undergoing heartworm treatment, Jolene needed to take it easy in order to recover. However, that was difficult to do, seeing that she’s a very hyperactive and anxious dog. Needless to say, Dixie found that CBD worked great to calm her dog down and help her recover after her treatment. For more info, click here.
Alternative CBD Products for Pets
Obviously King Kanine isn’t the only CBD product on the market, although I must say it is definitely one of the best I’ve tried.
Obviously, I haven’t yet tried all the CBD products out there.
Nonetheless, here are a few I have tried and can also recommend:
- Canna-Pet: Canna-Pet was one of the first products I used on Rosie. I was really impressed with the quality of these products, as well as how easy they were to use. For more info, check out my full Canna-Pet review here.
- HolistaPet: HolistaPet is another great brand. It's the newest of these companies, but customer reviews are growing really fast. They offer the best CBD dog and cat treats in my opinion, and their prices are the lowest. Check out their official website here.
Should You Use CBD On Your Pet?
If you’re invested in your pet’s health and wellbeing, I highly recommend trying CBD.
Whether you’re dealing with a sick pet or just want to help your furry friend live a prolonged, healthy life, these products are a great option.
For more information about King Kanine and to order their products, check out their website below: