Have you heard about the benefits CBD can have for your dog?
Are you interested in trying a CBD oil with your pet but struggle to choose between the countless different brands and products on the market?
In this article, I’m going to shine a light on an updated list of my favorite CBD pet oils.
Plus, I’ll also share some general info about CBD, how it works, its effects on pets, and more.
Save 20% With Coupon Code: BLAKE
The 7 Best CBD Oils for Dogs - 2020 Update
- HempMy Pet
- Honest Paws
- King Kanine
- Paw CBD
- Charlotte’s Web Paws
1. HempMy Pet
- Derived from organic, Colorado-grown hemp
- Third-party tested
- Potent 1000mg oil tinctures
- Delicious infused treats
HempMy Pet sets itself apart from other CBD pet brands in a number of ways.
First and foremost, this is one of the few brands growing and extracting its own organic hemp (most CBD companies source their extracts from a third-party).
HempMy Pet even works with specific hemp cultivars which it manufactures into full-spectrum extract that contains all the goodness found in the hemp plant.
HempMy Pet also uses organic, human-grade ingredients in all of its products, and currently stocks 2 oils, available in 250mg and 1000mg formulas.
While the 250mg formula is a great entry point for people and pets who haven’t used CBD before, the 1000mg oil is ideal for larger animals or those requiring stronger doses to treat a specific ailment or symptom.
Finally, HempMy Pet stands out from other CBD pet brands for the quality of its treats, which are made with certified organic ingredients and look so good you’ll want to try them yourself.
While HempMy Pet is one of the pricier brands on this list, I believe the quality of its products makes it well worth the extra cash.
Plus, its wellness bundles (complete with a tincture, infused coconut oil, and treats) offer savings of up to $30 and extra variety when it comes to treating your pet.
2. Honest Paws
- Made using organic USA-grown hemp and natural ingredients
- 3 different oils; 125mg, 250mg, and 500mg
- Delicious treats, chews, and infused peanut butter
- Great prices
Honest Paws has been a favorite of mine for quite some time, and I simply couldn’t keep it off this list.
Honest Paws CBD oil comes in 3 strengths; Level 1 (125mg, for pets up to 25lbs), Level 2 (250mg, for pets weighing 25-50lbs), and Level 3 (500mg, for pets over 50lbs).
Besides its oil, Honest Paws boasts a unique CBD-infused Peanut Butter that even the fussiest pets won’t be able to resist.
Honest Paws also makes some unique soft chews that contain a range of natural ingredients (including l-theanine, glucosamine, tryptophan, and Boswellia Serrata powder) and are specially formulated for Joint Support and Calming relief.
Honest Paws Bites are also great, packed with natural nutrients and available in 3 formulas; Calming (with roasted peanut butter flavor), Relief (with turmeric flavor), and Wellness (with creamy coconut flavor).
Like HempMy Pet, I love Honest Paws because it uses organically-grown hemp in all its products, alongside a variety of other natural ingredients designed to promote your pet’s health.
If you’re looking for a mid-priced CBD brand with a lot of variety and top-shelf products, Honest Paws is very hard to beat.
- Great prices, with oils starting at just $25.95
- Tons of real testimonials
- Made in Colorado
- New product line with more potent oils/capsules and specially formulated treats
HolistaPet was one of the first brands I reviewed on my site, and I still recommend it for its great prices and quality.
In fact, HolistaPet recently updated its products, offering higher strength oils and capsules, new treat formulations, catnip CBD spray, CBD horse pellets, and much more.
It’s CBD oils are all made with CO2-extracted full-spectrum hemp extract taken from Colorado-grown hemp and suspended in natural hemp seed oil.
The oils come in 5 strengths (150mg, 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 3000mg) for dogs and cats of all sizes and conditions.
Besides its oils, HolistaPet also recently launched a new line of treats specially formulated to aid with Joints and Mobility, Heart and Immune health, and Stress and Anxiety.
HolistaPet’s CBD capsules are also a great alternative if your dog’s a little fussy about taking the oral tinctures.
Available in 150mg, 300mg, and 600mg concentrations, these caps make daily dosing super easy; just hide a capsule in your pup’s favorite treat and voila.
If you’re put off by some of the higher-priced brands in this list, HolistaPet is a great option, offering reliable products at some of the best prices.
4. King Kanine
- Great brand with a passion for pet health
- Good variety of oils, available in 4 strengths
- Delicious treats
- Unique CBD topical balms and sprays
King Kanine is a well-known pet grooming brand that made a big name for itself with its flagship product, the King Komb.
Designed by the company’s founders to help them cope with their Great Dane’s shedding, the product quickly took off and is now sold as a high-quality multi-purpose grooming tool across the globe.
Now, King Kanine has expanded into the CBD market with its own line of King Kalm CBD products.
Its oils come in 4 strengths; 75mg (great for miniature dog breeds or cats), 150mg, 300mg, and 600mg (complete with copaiba and krill oil).
All its products are lab-tested, and all the lab results are readily available via the King Kanine website for transparency.
Besides its oils, King Kanine also makes CBD treats (available in 3 delicious flavors) and some unique topical products like a CBD balm and 2 sprays; King Kalm Soothe, designed to help with skin irritations, hot spots, and fungal infections, and King Kalm Mange and Mite management.
King Kanine is one of the few brands offering CBD topicals for pets, and I think this really helps the brand stand out against its competitors.
Plus, I also highly recommend King Kanine for the quality of its oils and treats, which are all made to the highest standards.
- Well-known brand with years on the market
- Lots of social proof and testimonials
- Carries one of the most concentrated oils on the market
- Large database of online information about CBD and how to use it to treat different symptoms and ailments
Canna-Pet is another one of the first CBD brands I reviewed on my site.
This is a well-known brand with a lot of testimonials on its website and a new selection of updated CBD pet products.
Right now, Canna-Pet has reduced its CBD oil line down to a single product; it’s Advanced MaxCBD Liquid.
Available only in 10ml bottles, CannaPet sells this product as one of its most potent CBD solutions.
It’s made with 100% full-spectrum hemp extract and is free of carrier oils, containing over 600mg of CBD per bottle.
That makes it by far the most concentrated product on this list.
Besides its oil, Canna-Pet also makes CBD capsules available in 2 concentrations: Advanced (with different formulas for small and large breeds) and Advanced Max CBD.
Again, these are a great alternative for fussy pets as the caps are easy to hide in food or treats.
Canna-Pet also has a line of CBD-infused treats available in 3 flavors; Peanut, Banana, and Apple; Turkey, and Maple Bacon, which is also available with MaxCBD concentrations.
Definitely check out Canna-Pet if you’re after a highly concentrated CBD oil and the security of buying from a brand that’s stood the test of time.
6. Paw CBD
- Wide variety of CBD dog products, including tinctures, chews, soft chews, peanut butter, and topicals
- Great prices, with CBD oils starting at just $20
- 100% THC-free broad-spectrum extracts
- Paw CBD is a new pet CBD brand and a subsidiary of cbdMD
It currently stocks a variety of CBD oils, treats, chews, and topicals for dogs, cats, and horses, all of which are made using extracts derived from non-GMO, USA-grown hemp.
Unlike the other brands I’ve listed so far, Paw CBD products are made with broad-spectrum extract that’s completely THC-free (keep reading for more information on the difference between full- and broad-spectrum oils below).
Right now, Paw CBD’s standard canine tinctures come in 5 strengths (150mg, 300mg, 700mg, 1500mg, and 3000mg) and 2 flavors (neutral and peanut butter flavor).
This brand also has a unique Calming CBD tincture (available in 250mg and 500mg concentrations) combining CBD, melatonin, valerian root, passion flower, lemon balm, and chamomile to help pets suffering from anxiety or stress.
Besides its tinctures, Paw CBD also has CBD-infused treats, soft chews (available in 3 formulas; Regular, Hip and Joint, and Calming), infused peanut butter, and a CBD topical.
While this is a newer brand, it’s well worth checking out for its great prices and variety.
7. Charlotte's Web Paws
- One of the most respected names in CBD.
- Made with proprietary hemp strains grown in Colorado using organic farming methods.
- Oils come with an easy-to-use pump to simplify dosing.
- Great treats and topical balm for extra protection.
Few names in the CBD world are as widely recognized as Charlotte’s Web.
This brand has been at the forefront of creating CBD products for health and wellness for years.
Today, this established brand has branched into the CBD for pets niche with its own line of oils, chews, and topicals.
Like all its other products, Charlotte’s Web Paws is made from the company’s proprietary hemp strains grown in Colorado using organic practices, fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.
Its full-spectrum hemp extract drops come in an easy-to-use pump that makes dosing super easy; a single spray of oil contains roughly 17mg of hemp actives and can be administered once or twice per day, depending on your pet’s weight and condition.
The drops come in 2 sizes, 30ml and 100ml, as well as 2 flavors (natural or chicken) to help please even the pickiest palates, and have been specially formulated to help promote joint health, mobility, as well as deliver calming effects for anxious or stressed pups.
Besides its oils, Charlotte’s Web also offers 3 different chews made with broad-spectrum hemp extract and formulated to deliver calming effects, cognitive support (great for senior dogs), and hip & joint health.
Finally, Charlotte’s Web also carries a topical balm. Containing 450mg of active hemp compounds, this product is great for promoting skin health and protecting your pet against external irritations.
Everything You Need To Know About Buying CBD Oil For Dogs
CBD is a complex molecule that interacts with a complicated physiological system.
Now that I’ve highlighted some of the best CBD brands currently on the market, keep reading for the essentials about CBD, what it is, how it affects your pet, how to dose it properly, and everything else you need to consider when buying a CBD product for your dog.
What Is CBD?
CBD is a cannabinoid found in high concentrations in certain strains of cannabis (like hemp, for example).
Unlike THC, the cannabinoid behind weed’s characteristic “high” effect, CBD isn’t intoxicating.
That means, even if you’re dog managed to swallow a whole bottle of CBD oil or get through an entire bag of CBD treats, it still wouldn’t feel high.
That’s because, unlike THC, CBD doesn’t bind directly to cannabinoid receptors in the body.
Instead, it’s been shown to interact with serotonin and vanilloid receptors (among other receptors) and provide a wide variety of health benefits, all without producing that iconic high we typically associate with cannabis.
How Can CBD Help Dogs?
Like you, your dog has an endocannabinoid system that plays an important role in regulating a wide variety of its regular bodily functions, including everything from pain and inflammation to appetite.
By interacting with your dog’s endocannabinoid system, CBD can help with:
- Pain. The endocannabinoid system has been shown to play a very important role in how we experience pain. Today, there’s considerate research showing that cannabinoids may help reduce both inflammatory and neuropathic pain.
- Seizures. Research has shown cannabinoids like CBD can help relieve tremors and convulsions associated with epilepsy and other conditions.
- Inflammation. The endocannabinoid system plays an important role in regulating our body’s inflammatory response. Studies suggest, for example, that the compounds in cannabis can help relieve the symptoms of chronic inflammation caused by conditions like arthritis.
- Anxiety. Dogs suffer from anxiety and stress just like humans do. Many pet owners report CBD can help their pups stay calm during these normally stressful situations.
- Nausea and vomiting. There’s good research suggesting cannabis compounds can calm nausea and vomiting, both of which are commonly associated with a wide variety of conditions.
- Tumors. Preliminary research into cannabis’ effects on cancer shows that some cannabinoids may help slow the growth of tumors by regulating cell death.
- General wellbeing. Experts believe the endocannabinoid system plays a key role in promoting homeostasis; a state of balance that keeps the body functioning properly and protects it against disease.
What Types of CBD Products are There for Dogs and How do They Differ?
Right now, the CBD pet market mainly consists of these products:
- Oil tinctures. These are best administered under your pet’s tongue where they are absorbed by the mucous membranes of the mouth. Effects usually kick-in in 15 minutes.
- Treats and other edibles (like coconut oil or peanut butter). Infused CBD edibles deliver cannabinoids to your dog’s body via the digestive tract. This takes a little longer (45-60 minutes or more) but also provides a slower, more gradual release of cannabinoids into the body that’s great for dogs that need long-lasting relief.
- Capsules. CBD capsules contain the same oil found in a regular oil tincture but are a little easier to administer and dose, especially if you’re dog is fussy about taking drops orally. They also have to pass through the digestive tract and can take up to 1 hour or more to take effect.
- Topicals. CBD balms and sprays deliver CBD and other cannabinoids directly to receptors in the skin. They’re a great option for treating symptoms like localized pain or inflammation.
Deciding what kind of CBD product is best for your pet depends on their needs.
If your pet needs long-lasting relief from an intense symptom, I recommend using a high-strength tincture and mixing it straight into their food or using an infused edible like coconut oil or peanut butter.
This will provide a long, slow, and steady relief of CBD throughout the day.
If your pet suffers from seizures, on the other hand, I recommend giving them an oral tincture directly under the tongue for fast relief.
Finally, for acute localized symptoms like pain, rashes, or hot spots, I suggest using a topical product.
What Does Full-Spectrum Mean?
CBD is derived from hemp extract.
This extract is generally divided into 3 categories:
- Full-spectrum extract, which contains all the cannabinoids and terpenes found naturally in hemp.
- Broad-spectrum extract, which is purged of some of these compounds (most commonly THC).
- Isolates. These extracts are purged of all the compounds found in hemp and cannabis, except CBD.
Note: There’s a common misconception that CBD isolates are “purer” than full- or broad-spectrum extracts. This isn’t true. Also, there’s solid research to suggest that cannabinoids are most effective in a therapeutic setting when taken together with terpenes and other compounds found in hemp.
How to Choose the Right Strength CBD Supplement for Your Pet?
This is a very difficult question and the answer will vary depending on your pet’s weight and why you’re giving them CBD in the first place.
Ideally, you’ll want to work out your pet’s ideal dose (more info on that below) and then choose an oil strength based on that.
In general, however, I recommend using a mid-strength oil of around 250-300mg as a great starting point if you’ve never used CBD with your pet before.
How Much CBD Oil Should You Give Your Pet?
Again, this depends on the weight and needs of your pet.
Most brands will recommend giving your dog between 0.25-0.5mg of CBD for every pound of body weight, and I think this is a good place to start, but you can start lower than this if you like.
In fact, I’ve found that the best way to find the right dose of CBD is to start slow and work your way up until you find your pet's “sweet spot;” this is when they get maximum relief without any side effects (like drowsiness).
But remember, I’m no vet.
Like with any other supplement, I always recommend you follow the dosage instructions that come with the particular product you buy and work closely with your vet to find the right dose of CBD for your pet.
Is CBD Safe for Dogs?
Yes, CBD is a very safe compound that’s completely non-toxic, even when taken in large doses.
It’s important to note, however, that CBD has been shown to cause side effects.
In people, studies suggest CBD can, in rare cases, cause tiredness, diarrhea, and appetite/weight changes.
Unfortunately, very little scientific research has focused on the effects of CBD on companion animals.
However, in my experience and from my research, the only side effect of CBD I’ve heard other pet owners mention is a little drowsiness, which you can easily avoid by reducing the size of your pet’s dose.
Note: I get a lot of pet owners asking me about THC and whether it’s safe for pets. While THC has been shown to have health benefits in humans, I never recommend giving it to pets as they are too sensitive to its effects. You can read more about THC for dogs here.
Can You Mix CBD With Other Medications?
CBD is metabolized in the liver by cytochrome P450 enzymes, which are responsible for breaking down roughly 60% of all the medications found on the market.
When CBD is present in the body alongside another medication, it competes to be metabolized by cytochrome P450.
In doing so, it can increase the time it takes for the liver to break down another medication, increasing that medication’s half-life.
Again, this is why it’s really important you talk to your vet about using CBD with your dog.
If your pet is taking a medication, check with your vet whether it is broken down by cytochrome P450 and ask them for advice before giving your pet CBD.
Find The Best Cannabis Supplements for Your Pet, Today
CBD can work wonders for pets of all ages and health conditions.
Unfortunately, finding the right CBD supplement for your pet can be tricky given the sheer number of brands and products out there.
In this article, I hope to have helped you null down the best CBD products currently on the market, as well as helped clear up some of the mystery regarding CBD and its effects on our furry friends.
For more articles like this, remember to bookmark my website and regularly check out my blog.
This is currently out top recommendation this year. We like all the tinctures on this list, but if we had to choose one, it would be this brand. They have amazing ingredients and very high quality products.
Use the Coupon Code BLAKE to receive a 20% discount!